Top Cannabis Strains for Dementia and Alzheimer’s
With more states legalizing medical cannabis use, more families can benefit from using cannabis to treat elderly members particularly those who are showing signs of cognitive decline. Cannabis makes an excellent natural herbal supplement for loved ones who suffer from dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other related conditions. Seeing a loved one suffer from dementia is never easy, but it can be made more bearable by using cannabis.
There are detailing the medical benefits of cannabis for aging and protecting the brain. It can also help elderly loved ones more efficiently deal with the effects of aging, including insomnia and anxiety. Because of its calming properties, patients can benefit from cannabis as it can help them stay more calm and comfortable in their final years.
Both sativa and indica strains can be helpful for patients with cognitive decline. Sativa strains can uplift patients during the day and help keep them active; while indica strains can help them sleep well without that heavy drowsy feeling in the morning.
Here are the top 5 strains recommended for dementia:
- is an award-winning hybrid with high amounts of THC, but is a popular choice for patients who enjoy daytime medication. NYC Diesel delivers an energetic, euphoric high while awakening and stimulating the mind. Patients enjoy creative pursuits while on NYC Diesel, ideal for the elderly who appreciates arts, crafts, and other fun activities while medicating. This is also an excellent strain for patients who love spending time outdoors. Another great benefit of NYC Diesel is that it can help knock pain right out of the park; ideal for the elderly who suffer from inflammation-related disorders such as gout and arthritis.
- is an amazing indica strain loved for its peaceful, tranquilizing properties. Patients enjoy how Bubba Kush can relax every muscle in the body from head to toe, taking them into a state of sweet dreamy euphoria especially as you sleep. Bubba Kush is beneficial in alleviating stress while bringing on a happy mood; recommended for the patient who enjoys unwinding in front of the television before sleep. Bubba Kush is also used in the treatment of depression, insomnia, stress, muscle spasms, and pain.
- is more than just a popular cocktail. This strain is the love child of two powerful hybrid strains, AK-47 and White Widow. White Russian has a high THC content of 22%, which is pretty rare these days. A high THC content is extremely beneficial for patients who are suffering from cognitive decline. This hybrid has strong sativa properties which makes it ideal for daytime medication although it can also help you sleep well if you smoke it at night. White Russian is also used by patients to treat appetite loss, pain, depression, and stress.
- is popular among medical cannabis patients of all ages. One of the unique properties of this hybrid is that it has the ability to deliver almost 50/50 in both body and mind experience. This is due to its Colombian, Afghani, and Mexican heritage that few other strains possess. Skunk No. 1 is recommended for patients with dementia as well as those suffering from inflammation-related conditions, depression, insomnia, pain, stress, and headaches. Skunk No. 1 is ideal for those who tend to be moody, depressed, and fatigued as a result of either dementia or Alzheimer’s because of its ability to uplift, make you feel happy and euphoric, and calm you down.
- has high a THC content, sometimes reaching as much as 24%. Because of its potent psychoactive properties, LSD is recommended for elderly patients who already have experience consuming cannabis. For those who can handle it, LSD delivers a strong psychedelic hit and a delicious head-high. Its indica-dominant properties make it perfect for evening relaxation or to help with sleep, although many also enjoy medicating with this strain in the afternoon. LSD’s effects are felt quickly, sometimes as fast as the first exhale. Many users report experiencing the giggles with this, so if you have a loved one who is also suffering from depression and mood disorders due to dementia, this is the perfect strain for them.
OTHER STORIES YOU MAY ENJOY...